Re: major libgweather Locations updates

Hi,

I followed the thread.

This update is a lot of stuff. And it seems that it's still changing constantly.

First, are you absolutely sure this is stable now? I won't touch this
until it is.

I personally can't help but think it isn't. I am not sure what
methodology was used to prune or consider cities.

I had a quick look at Arab cities in general and Algerian cities in particular.

Algeria has 48 "wilayas" (districts), but there are only 34 cities in
the file. Some of them are not the district "capitals". Many will miss
them, because in general you would be looking for "New York", not some
obscure suburb around it.

Algeria also has a very odd population density. 80% of people live in
15% of the land. But more than half the cities in the file are Saharan
cities.

The city choice was not made on population either. Some of the major
cities are not present. And there are still cities that are based on
airport names. "Dar el Beida" is a suburb of Algiers, so is "El
Golea". Both are present because of airports there.

The choice was also not made based on distinct cities in their X km^2
geographical areas.

What I gather from this is that:
* the choice was not made on district capitals.
* It was not made based on population count.
* It was not made based on density.
* It was not made based on geographical areas.

In brief, some Algerian choosing cities, and looking under Algeria
will be wondering how exactly were the cities chosen. I suspect the
same will be true for many people around the world.

I am not sure what the methodology is. If you would like it to fix
this, then please fix this at once. I  personally don't mind going to
fix stuff in my country. What about the dozens of other countries we
will be translating?

Please consider pondering about it a bit more, and make it stable with
sound decisions before making each translation team spend 20 hours on
this.

Thanks.
Djihed