Re: Word-a-Day: capplet, preference tool

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 13:22 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2008, at 20:41, Shaun McCance wrote:
>
> > Revised proposal
> > capplet
> > Do not use.  Use either "preferences window" or
> > "settings window" instead.
> > preferences window
> > A small application that allows users to change their
> > personal preference settings.  Use "preferences window"
> > only to refer to them generically.  To refer to a
> > specific preferences window, simply use the window
> > title.
> >
> > Correct:
> > To change the handedness of your mouse, open the
> >  *Mouse Preferences*.
>
> Personally, I think "open the Mouse Preferences window" reads better,
> but maybe that's just because it's what I'd normally write myself.  In
> general, I'd always write "the <window title> window", because it
> nearly always reads well regardless of what the window title actually
> is: the Inbox window, the Bookmarks window, the Mouse Preferences
> window...

Noted.  I'm not particularly attached to any of
the recommendations on this term so far, except
that the word "capplet" needs to go away.

> > When naming a preferences window, end the title with
> > the word "Preferences", unless it does not fit with
> > the rest of the title.  If the title ends with the
> > word "Preferences", use this form for any buttons or
> > launchers, but use the title without the word
> > "Preferences" for the menu item in a Preferences menu.
>
> Isn't this more of a HIG concern than a GDSG concern?

Well, as I said before, the goal is the change the GDSG
to the GSG.  It's intended to be the guidelines for all
English language usage, not just documentation.

We're naturally going to come across cases where there's
overlap between the Style Guide and the HIG, and that's
why I CC'd usability on the initial announcement.  I want
you guys in on this, so we're not stepping on each others'
toes.

The HIG, I think, should defer to the Style Guide for any
general language usage questions.  But perhaps the HIG is
the appropriate place for things like this, where we're
saying exactly how to label something within the user
interface.

--
Shaun