Re: Word-a-Day: capplet, preference tool

On Apr 12, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Leonardo Fontenelle wrote:
When should we use "dialog", and when should we use "window"?

I recommend using "window" in every case, except in programs like Glade that involve actually constructing windows of different types.

People understand written or spoken language better if nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, articles, and prepositions are used in the correct places. But that doesn't mean people need to know all the terms for those kinds of words, and many people don't.

Similarly, I think people understand graphical interfaces better if document windows, dialogs, alerts, progress windows, and utility windows are used in the correct circumstances. But that doesn't mean people need to know the terms for all those kinds of window, and I doubt there's any benefit in trying to teach them. They have more important things to think about.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/