Re: Upset

On 6/21/07, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 22:38 +0100, Jean-Paul wrote:

I'm not sure what complicated procedures you're referring to here, or
why it takes hours; on the command line, all you should have to do on
Ubuntu is type 'sudo' before your usual editing command.

If want to avoid the command line altogether, you're free to add a menu
item or panel icon that runs 'gksu gedit' (or your editor of choice),
then you're just a click away from a graphical text editor with which
you can edit any file on your system, without having to touch the
command line.

You can also add nautilus ("gksu nautilus") so that you can edit many
files in an easier fashion, including changing permissions, renaming
and so on.
It would also be interesting to see if it would be good to add support
for gksu to change the colour of the gksu-ed windows so that they
stand out.
Personally I find it a bit confusing to do administrative tasks with
nautilus as I am sold to the command line. If you do find it really
convenient to use nautilus et al, it would be good to write up a
"blueprint" for Ubuntu (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/). I can help
with the write-up details.

Simos