Re: Mac OS X Tiger - Cannot build yelp

Jeff Carneal <jeff-gnome soldmy net> said:

> I'm crossing my fingers someone here can help me build yelp on OS X
> 10.4.8, because I've torn my hair out for nearly two days over it
> already.
>
> Here's what happens when I ./configure yelp-2.16.2:
>
> checking for compiler -fshort-wchar option... yes
> checking whether to enable C++ RTTI... no
> checking whether we have a gtk 2 gecko build... yes
> checking whether we have a gecko debug build... no
> checking for gecko version... 1.8
> configure: error: mozilla is not supported
>
> I THINK I've got gecko from firefox 1.5.0.9 installed properly (with
> gtk2) but it installs as /usr/local/lib/mozilla-1.8.0.9.

You have firefox installed as "mozilla"? Seems like that's asking for
trouble, or at least something you may have to counteract later.

Either that or you have an actual mozilla installed as well as firefox. Either way:

[from config.log:]
> configure:26074: checking which gecko to use
> configure:26105: result: mozilla

It's clearly auto-detecting mozilla as the gecko to use regardless of
what other geckos you may have installed. There's a ./configure flag
you can use to pick a different one.

> I have also tried to use xulrunner 1.8.0.4 and I get similar results.
>
> So am I using the wrong gecko or is there a problem with configure?
> I've included my config.log at the end of this post.
>
> Also, I've tried other versions of yelp.  Versions 2.10-2.11
> configure but will not compile.  Versions 2.12-2.14 will configure
> and will compile after I add -lxpcom_core to the final compile/link
> command.  However, all three result in a runtime error of "illegal
> hardware instruction  yelp".

Is this an intel Mac? Mozilla itself does not (and probably will not
ever) run there. Need to use one of the other mozilla-project
renderers (firefox is known to work late in the 1.5 series).

dan

--
Daniel Macks
dmacks netspace org