Re: Offlist for a while

--- Karderio <karderio gmail com> wrote:

> Sorry to hear about this :(
>
> If I come across posts to the list that may interest
> you, I don't mind
> forwarding them for you, would you like that ?

Sure!
I do from time to time check the doc-list archives,
but then I have the problem that I can't reply to a
mail I haven't received.... I don't like mailing
lists!

> I'm just making the best of the little internet
> access I have this
> afternoon, when I get chance, I might suggest
> creating a seperate list
> for string and UI changes, what do you think ?

String and UI changes go to the i18n list too.
The purpose of them going to docs is so doc writers
are aware of changes, and can update the
documentation.
We have to consider this original purpose of these
emails.
One problem is that the people sending them don't
think about whether docs people need to know about a
change, and they don't send information that we can
understand. We sometimes get changelogs, or even diffs
-- we can't read those.

The gedit team have been filing docs bugs for all UI
changes this cycle, and it's worked pretty well. I'd
suggest something like that, but only once there's
been some education so we don't get spammed with
irrelevant changes, and ones filed in incomprehensible
ways.

It boils down to this -- the string change thing is a
rule that people diligently follow without
understanding, and so we get dross. The docs team is
languishing and most developers imagine us to be
either mysterious or dead.

But really, for this to change, we need more people
working on docs. Each gnome module needs to have a
docs writer assigned. We can each take on several, but
roughly I'd say we need 4-5 more people.
Otherwise, we're eternally stuck treading water.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2007-January/msg00022.html