Re: About GNOME / return / duck related question

--- karderio <karderio gmail com> wrote:

> Hi everybody :o)
>
> I'm getting back into contributing, after some
> months just ticking over
> very slowly. Hello again ;)

Hi! Glad to see you're still around :)

> I'm considering giving the about-gnome app, the
> thing that shows the
> gnome about dialog, a going over [1]. I would like
> it to point to an
> "about GNOME" section in the help, does such a
> section exist ? I
> couldn't find one.
>
> I found a "feedback" section, that's great, it would
> be nice to link to
> this from the dialog also, I think. Did you add this
> Joachim ?

Yes I added the Feedback appendix to the User Guide,
though it was actually material from an existing
separate document I copied across (and updated a bit)
-- bug 335968.
OTOH, an 'About Gnome' section in the User Guide would
be a good thing.
I would suggest we ask the marketing team to come up
with something for it, except that it might end up
being me anyway ;) How about we wait for the marketing
team to write the 'About Gnome' section of the new
website and then copy bits of that? (Ok, that's me
too. *sigh*)

> A thought has been rattling around my head for a
> while. Many GNOME app
> manuals are in fact contained in the user guide.
> It's not quite clear
> which apps should have their own standalone manual,
> and which should be
> in the user guide.

I agree, it's confusing for us and for users. I
considered moving more applets into the User Guide,
but it's such a monster already, and doesn't seem
worth the effort.

> With Mallard, can we not have
> each app have it's own
> manual (thus simplifying calling the docs from the
> app, and letting the
> app be built independently of GNOME), and compose
> the user guide by
> including content from each app, and adding extra
> info if necessary.
> Something along these lines could be nice and
> modular, making things
> much more clear, whereas things currently seem a bit
> of a mess. Perhaps
> this is the plan already ?

That's probably the plan. Or it should be.
The reverse also true: I'd like things like 'Opening a
file' and 'Using the clipboard' to be written in the
user guide, and then appear as topics in application manuals.