Re: Manual page translations

Hey Brent,

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 22:53 -0600, Brent Smith wrote:
> I've been looking at getting the manual page translations to work in
> yelp.  There was a sorting/priority issue that I figured out with
> respect to which man pages should have precedence (obviously translated
> man pages for your $LANGUAGE should have precedence over others), but
> now I am facing another problem.
>
> It seems that man pages are not translated in utf-8.  This means we have
> to perform character set conversion between whatever code page is
> appropriate for your language into UTF-8 (and then I need to rewrite the
> man parser with utf-8 in mind).  Can anyone point me to some
> documentation about how this is usually done?  Specifically, how do I
> determine the appropriate character set conversion to do based on the
> value of $LANGUAGE?
>
> P.S. Yelp creates a derived class of g_io_channel to handle gzip/bzip2
> compressed files transparently - this forces us to set the encoding to
> NULL (binary), so g_io_channel can't do the encoding validation for us.
> Any ideas about how to fix this?

The reason for the NULL encoding is for several info pages.  AFAIR,
adding or removing NULL encoding didn't affect man pages (but I could be
wrong), only info pages.  That being the case, you could probably add
another parameter to the yelp_io_channel_new_file call: something like
"encoding" that is the encoding to use for the channel.  Would this make
your life easier?

Don