Re: Gnome Live Wiki Day (and other wiki-ish ideas)?

One of the key ingredients missing from the wiki cookbook, is the idea or thought, of baked.  Once a peice of wiki content has be edited, (assumption about 12.46 times), that article/content is then, "baked" - need no further cooking or ingredidents to it.  It exists merely for digestion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Statistics
Users have made 46,373,611 edits, an average of 12.58 per page, since July 2002.

~laprug

On 3/21/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:
(cc-ing to web list)
--- John Stowers <john stowers lists gmail com > wrote:

> We are in a bit of a chicken-and-the-egg dance at
> the moment with
> developer.gnome.org, live.gnome.org and
> library.gnome.org. I think that a
> valuable first step would be to transfer over all
> relevant content from
> developer.gnome.org into the wiki. I am presuming
> that
> library.gnome.orgwill be wiki based, and for ease of
> maintenance I
> think moin-moin (what
> live.gnome.org runs) is probbably a good choice.

We do currently have a bit of a mess on our hands.

AFAIK, the idea is that library.gnome.org will be
autogenerated web versions of our documentation: the
User Guide, the accessibility guide, the sysadmin
guide, the HIG, the GDP handbook, the Style Guide and
other developer docs.
So it wouldn't be a wiki.
It may be that the documentation *is* one day written
collaboratively on the web. But it probably won't
exactly be a wiki, more of sort of online docbook
editor.
But library.gnome.org should display the stable
versions.
In an ideal world, we'd work on this hypothetical
wiki, and every so often push a point release so that
library.gnome.org updates with fresh stuff. We'd
probably want library.gnome.org/userguide to match
what people currently see on their GNOME desktop, for
example.
They could of course also access the wiki and see the
work in progress -- the unstable version of the docs.

> If we were going to (hypothetically) host a wiki day
> I think the following
> things would be required prior to that happening
> 1) Identification of categories. That way
> classification and movement of
> pages into categories can be done (see how
> extensively and well they use
> categories on wiki.ubuntu.com)
> 2) Some kind of go ahead from the admins of
> developer.gnome.org that it is
> dying a slow death and it would be a step in the
> right direction to put the
> still relevant content into live.gnome.org
> 3) Some kind of tentative go ahead from the
> authority on the plans of
> live.gnome.org that it may well use moinmoin also
> and any wiki formatting
> done on live.gnome.org would not be wasted time
> because it may be reused on
> library.gnome.org
> 4) Brainstorming about how the worlds best wiki
> ( live.gnome.org) should be
> structured

A wiki day would be a great idea anyway. Wikis always
need cleaning up. :)
As we move content to live.gnome.org, we have to
remove it from the corresponding pages on
developer.gnome.org and either turn the pages into
redirects or put a link to the wiki page.

Though... I do wish we'd not picked moin for our wiki.
It has horrible syntax: [" "] is really awkward to
type links. I'd have far preferred MediaWiki or
something with the [[ ]] syntax and indented lists
that don't need me to count spaces. :(