Re: PDFs for user-guide, accessibility-guide and system-admin-guide

On Thursday 09 March 2006 20:02, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 07:33 +0200, Sean Wheller wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 March 2006 11:32, Emmanuel Pacaud wrote:
> > > I don't think PDF is well suited for on screen reading. Font rendering
> > > and glyph spacing make document harder to read than when it's in html.
> >
> > PDF is every bit as readable as any other format. There is nothing to
> > support this claim, except what may be each of our personal preferences.

Perhaps it's just me, but I have bought several e-books and they have come in
PDF format. Yes, I can print them, but I generally just read what I need on
screen.

I use both KPDF and Acrobat Reader and they are both very easy to use with no
font problems

> 1) Paragraphs don't flow dynamically in PDF, so the page
> can't automatically adjust to your font and window size.

They were not intended to. Actually, in a big book, with reasonably long
sections, this is good because I know exactly where on the page I saw stuff
last, especially when reading code examples etc.

As for sizing to window. Well, you can zoom in and out.

> 2) PDF can't follow the color scheme of my theme.

When you are looking for help or information on how something works, what is
more important, your color scheme or the information?

> 3) PDF can't follow my desktop font settings.

See above, what is more important.

I don't think we anyone has said that PDF should be a replacement for XML
rendered as HTML under Yelp, it is just a suggestion that many users do want
PDF formats and the choice of which they use is left with them.

> 4) PDF is explicitly paginated, which is just added noise
> for a non-paged medium like the screen.

repeat, "Actually, in a big book, with reasonably long sections, this is good
because I know exactly where on the page I saw stuff last, especially when
reading code examples etc."

> All of these can be summed up like so: PDF is designed for
> fixed-size media, which the screen is not.

PDF is designed for viewing just as much as HTML is, just because the one
provides more information such as page layout and pagination does not make it
any less fit for display on screen. You have different viewing modes,
bookmarks, indexes, hyperlinks, search, etc. and the benefit of print.

I thought it was about choice, people obviously want GNOME Documents in PDF,
why not let them have it. Anyone who does not want to read PDF on screen can
choose not to do so.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author