Re: Changing "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"

--- Yavor Doganov <yavor doganov org> wrote:
> > By the way, the new version of the GNOME User
> Guide has a section on
> > contributing to GNOME.
>
> It is gnome2-user-guide/C/gosfeedback.xml, right?

Yes. The version in our CVS has more in it than
whatever was last released.

> > I don't remember if I wrote much about the ideals
> and goals of free
> > software, but if you want to contribute a few
> lines, please do.
>
> I'm willing to write something, but I fear that with
>

> > There aren't many places in docs for
> banner-waving, but that one is.
>
> this attitude it won't be accepted.  I want to write
> about the reasons
> why the GNOME Project was started, and about the
> danger of "Open
> Source", which constantly threatens to bury the Free
> Software ideals
> and turn them into something completely different
> and insignificiant.

I used the expression light-heartedly, and I meant our
own recruitment drives in that document too.

I would suggest adding to 'A.4.&#8194;Joining the
GNOME Project' a new paragraph after the first two,
briefly explaining the benefits of free software to
the average user. I'm sure I've read articles and
blogs about this, but basically freedom to alter code
yourself -- not very useful to end-user -- freedom
from format lock-in and forced upgrades -- more
interesting. that sort of thing :)

Joachim

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html