Re: how to commit string changes

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 07:44 +0530, Manish Chakravarty wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a newbie to this list. I want to help out with the GNOME
> documentation project
> Last few days i have been reading that many people have been
> "committing" changes to some packages (eg evolution).
> I would like to help out the community in this regard too.
>
> Could a kind soul please tell me (or point me to some online resources)
> on how this is done? Do i have to learn to use CVS? And how do i use
> this "bugzilla" thing?
>
> It would be nice if someone could point me to some "doc writer guide"
> like stuff

To contribute to Gnome, you really will need to
learn CVS, at least the basics.  CVS is where we
store all of our revisions for all of software.
Without it, your work is just bits isolated to
your computer.

To be able to commit to CVS, you need to have
a CVS account, and it usually takes some amount
of work to get one.  The good news is that you
don't need to have a CVS account to contribute.
You can write some documentation and send it
directly to us.  We can commit.

We have a handbook for documentation contributors.
It could use some work, but it will answer many of
your questions.  Read it here:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/handbook/gdp-handbook/

Bugzilla is where we track all the work we need
to do.  Basically, if somebody thinks something
is crap, he can file a bug in bugzilla saying so.
We can then add comments, change various metadata,
and so on.  It helps us keep track of everything.

You should jump onto IRC some time.  It's a lot
easier to get people up to speed on things in
real-time communication.  We're on irc.gnome.org
in the #docs channel.

--
Shaun