how to commit string changes

I am a newbie to this list. I want to help out with the GNOME
documentation project
Last few days i have been reading that many people have been
"committing" changes to some packages (eg evolution).
I would like to help out the community in this regard too.

Could a kind soul please tell me (or point me to some online resources)
on how this is done? Do i have to learn to use CVS? And how do i use
this "bugzilla" thing?

It would be nice if someone could point me to some "doc writer guide"
like stuff