Re: Requesto for string freeze break in gnome-utils

Hi Emmanuele,

Since this is for the direct benefit of translators (at least a dozen
teams can't do the job properly without ngettext()), I give out my
i18n approval.

But:

Today at 2:23, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

>    if (count == -1)
>      message = g_strdup (_("No definitions found"));
> -  else if (count == 1)
> -    message = g_strdup (_("A definition found"));
> -  else
> -    message = g_strdup_printf (_("%d definitions found"), count);
> +  else
> +    message = g_strdup (ngettext("A definition found",
> +				 "%d definitions found",
> +				 count));

Here you introduce another bug: you probably want to use
g_strdup_printf in the ngettext version as well, i.e.

>    if (count == -1)
>      message = g_strdup (_("No definitions found"));
> -  else if (count == 1)
> -    message = g_strdup (_("A definition found"));
> -  else
> -    message = g_strdup_printf (_("%d definitions found"), count);
> +  else
> +    message = g_strdup_printf (ngettext("A definition found",
> +					   "%d definitions found",
> +				 	   count));

or users would be seeing "%d definitions found" (translated, of
course) without count being substituted (be sure to fix this in HEAD
as well).

For the other string freeze break request, it's about 4 new
not-so-short messages, and I feel it would be better resolved as
Vincent proposed: use different filename instead without introducing a
single new string.

However, since translators will now have to update their translations
for gnome-utils anyway, here is an i18n approval for that change as
well, if you insist in carrying it through.

Cheers,
Danilo