Re: A11y woes

On 19/02/2006, at 11:36 PM, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

[Me] True Unicode variable width fonts include: Lucida Grande, Arial, Gentium, Junicode, Titus Cyberbit Basic, and fonts created by language groups for Unicode (I have some beautiful fonts created for Vietnamese, but they cover the whole Unicode set.)
Gentium is distributed under the Open Font License (http:// scripts.sil.org/OFL), meaning that it is free and can be included in Linux distrubutions. <snip>

Sorry, I should have thought of distro. licensing. Lucida Grande comes with Mac OSX, I don't know what its general licence is. Arial comes with the M$ Office trial binary ;), and the rest are at least freely available for personal use.

It's a pity about Bitstream (Titus Cyberbit Basic): they must have changed their licence. I read their licence attached to another font only this week, but it must have been out of date, because it said we were free to redistribute their fonts as long as we didn't do so in a font package and charge for that package. Re-engineering was fine as long as the name of the font was changed.

I use Lucida Grande for practically everything: it's a very good Unicode font. I only use others for fixed-width, or display (print/ pics/pdf).