Underlining (was: Re: Spicing up stylesheets)

Sorry I couldn't respond to this earlier Shaun.

On 11/02/2006, at 6:40 AM, Shaun McCance wrote:

Underlining isn't a very nice thing to do to your text,
regardless of what language you're reading.  The whole
underlining concept comes from hand-written documents,
where font style and weight changes are hard to do.

Absolutely. It was even common in earlier times, for people to double- and triple-underline words or phrases, resulting in a hand- written letter looking more like particularly messy music manuscript. ;)

But somehow, somebody thought it would be a good idea
to mark hyperlinks with underlines, seriously hurting
readability.  It's become such an accepted idiom that
you create a discoverability problem if you don't use
underlines.

True. :(

The expectation that blue-underlined text will be a link is very strong by now: I realize it when occasionally I meet some blue- underlined text on a webpage, which is _not_ a link. Very disconcerting!

Our usual fix is to set CSS to indicate links by change of colour on mouse-over, also by applying bold style, so the distinction doesn't rest on colour alone (bearing in mind that some people are colour- blind: I also avoid red and green for that reason, those being very common colour-distinction issues for people partially colour-blind).

We could, I suppose, add an option to Yelp for whether
or not to underline links.  Even though I know I'd turn
off underlines if that option existed, I just hate to
put that sort of thing in the preferences dialog.

It's a bit niggly, isn't it?

Perhaps we could do a per-language setting.  We'd leave
underlines on for languages where underlining is merely
bad, and turn them off for languages where it's downright
evil.  Would that be an acceptable solution?

That would be excellent. There might even be a way to link that to system language settings. We have to set up our system to handle our language anyway, so adding this element to that process makes sense. It could override browser-page link style, if desired.

(Side note: I'm of the opinion that color change alone
is sufficient to make links discoverable, but only if
text color isn't changed throughout the document for
all sorts of other stuff.

Absolutely. You end up with a very confused eye!

And before anybody accuses
me of being insensitive to accessibility needs, bear
in mind that I'm color-blind.)

I know very little about colour-blindness, so I hope I got it right further up. Please advise if not.

Colour is used so much for distinguishing things and alerting people, including vital things like traffic lights in red and green, and stop signs and first aid signs in red, all of this keying into our immediate attention to anything in the coloụr of blood, but it's actively inconvenient, if not dangerous at times, for people who are colour-blind.