Re: building GNOME vs writing docs

--- Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> So what can we do?  Having scripts to build a single
> app
> just won't help that much.  We have scripts like
> jhbuild
> for building.

Yes we do, but it's few levels above my technical
ability. And it's more than a single command:
http://live.gnome.org/JhbuildOnUbuntu

> You mention asking developers to write brief "what's
> new"
> synopses for our writers.  I think this is a
> wonderful
> idea, absolutely great.  I've thought about it
> before,
> and I think it would be great to *require* it of all
> the
> desktop modules at feature freeze.  But it's not
> enough.
> You really need to use stuff to document it well.

Agreed. But in the absence of doc writers with access
to recent build, it's better than nothing.

> One possible solution is to provide Live CDs at
> every
> unstable point release.

But we do we need it at every point release?
Why not just one Live CD release after feature freeze?
That's when doc writing really gets started anyway.
And the only thing that's changing after that is stuff
that we get notified of anyway, right?