Re: writind docs for gparted

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 12:43 +0100, Larry tb wrote:
> As one can see on the index.htm, there are few releases in three ways :
> Howto resize NTFS using GPARTED
> Howto resize EXT3 using GPARTED
> GPARTED Genral doc (with like to the other points)
> LIVECD docs.
>
> thank you for any help one could give ...

Hello Larry,

If you intend on making this into online documentation (use with the
GNOME help browser) might I suggest reading the GDP Style Guide
http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/ . This contains some
rather strict guidelines for GNOME documentation. Be warned that the
style guide is a little out of date however :(

To me, the documentation on you site would seem more like an online
(web) presentation/tutorial. When writing GNOME documentation, there are
certain rules (explained in the style guide) such as using the fewest
possible screenshots, being structured into sections which each explain
a particular task ("to create a partition", "to delete a partition", "to
resize a partition"...)... These rules have been established (I guess)
so that the documentation is clear for all users and consistent
throughout GNOME.

Remember that for online help, the user has already downloaded and run
the software, so “how to install” or “how to run” sections would be
superfluous (but very useful on the website !). In the same way, when
run under GNOME, the liveCD instructions are no use, although it could
be mentioned that a liveCD version exists and is obtainable from the
gparted website.

I believe Manish Chakravarty <manishchakravarty yahoo co in> may be
working on gparted docs also (see the mailing list archives, maybe you
could e-mail him).

There you go, just a few comments, you may have thought of these
already, sorry if that is the case... Don't hesitate to mail me with any
specific questions, I am however very new at GNOME documenting myself.

Love, Karderio