Re: Gnome and Ubuntu UGs (Was: string freeze?)

I don't know where to reply in this thread now.

--- Matthew East <mdke ubuntu com> wrote:
> Can people stop sending me list email privately too?
> I'm following the list.

Doesn't the mailing list handler cleverly avoid
sending a mail to someone on the list who's already
been sent it?
Hi. Did I mention I hate mailing lists?

Moving on... :)

> briefly, what would be
> that I've mentioned above?
> > >
> > > I think that *never* would be a good time to
> fork our documentation, of
> > > course you can do what you like.
>
> You're just scared of the word "fork", it's not
> nearly such a bad thing
> as you think (see below).

I don't think this as a fork at all.
The Ubuntu team is taking chunks of the GUG and
adapting them. For 2.20, they'll go through the same
process all over again.
Think of it as a slightly more involved branding
process.

The more work can happen upstream the better for
everyone.
Gnome gets better docs, and Ubuntu gets to do the work
once and only once instead of each release.

The GUG is too big and unwieldy, lots of it is crusty
and I sometimes wonder who is brave enough out there
in userland to actually read it.
Having a GUG AND a UGU side by side is a bit silly,
and it can only confuse users.
Mallard is designed to fix this, but I am all in
favour of doing what we can about this pre-Mallard.

BTW Matthew's just filed a bug on the UG to add some
Ubuntu material, which is great. Thanks! :)

Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" ? The Wall Street Journal
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html