Re: Documentation Tasks: lets get organized

Hi :o)

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 13:31 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> Brent, will you be able to make a VM available like
> you did last time?

I was rather seriously considering building vmware images of GNOME a
while back, until I leaned that a new team, the BuildBrigade [1] was
planning on doing this. I considered that there was no point in
duplicating effort, and that they would make a much better, surely less
kludgeish solution than me, so I decided against building the images.

Some time has now passed, and I am wondering how close they are to
providing the RPMs. Looking at their mailing list provides little clues
so I sent them a message asking for information on the progress.

It could certainly be worth building vmware images in the mean time - in
which case I'm volunteering to do this again [2].

Love, Karderio.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/BuildBrigade

[2] I have had much trouble with garnome and jhbuild under Ubuntu, the
devs are very helpful but a solution to one problem just seems to lead
me to a new and exciting problem; this leads me to wonder if these tools
in fact don't like me [3]. I once proudly got GNOME to compile in a
fedora core virtual machine, so I think my next effort would be with
this distribution.

[3] Autotools (automake, autoconf etc) to me seems like a rather bad
solution to a not necessarily so complex problem. I started hacking on a
project [4] a few months ago, and for the time being, I'd estimate,
without exaggeration, that every hour I spend hacking C code that adds a
new feature I spend up to five hours messing with make, most of the time
getting nowhere. I'm feel I'm going to have to spend days reading up and
learning autotools, as I just can't handle messing about, copying code
from other makefiles only to get the nice helpful sort of error message
"script doesn't work - try again". Frustrating, especially as autotools
work is particularly unrewarding to me. Anyone heard of scons ? </rant
with the longest sentence I have ever written>

[4] http://glipper.sourceforge.net/ [5]

[5] Nestled footnote are cool !