Re: new apps without docs: policy request

--- Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> I think this went nicely, and I expect the release
> team
> will continue doing this.  In light of this new
> process,
> I've been thinking over the last week of proposing a
> new
> rule.  New modules proposals are not required to
> have
> documentation, but in the months between proposal
> and
> decision, maintainers must make a concerted effort
> work with members of the GDP to make docs happen.
>
> Do bear in mind that, until feature freeze, any
> module,
> new or not, can change completely behind our backs.
> So
> we shouldn't expect to be able to produce complete
> and
> final documentation for new modules before the
> decision,
> because the decision happens at feature freeze.  But
> we
> can get a big chunk of the work done, or at least
> know
> what we're getting ourselves into.
>
> If the team likes this idea, I'll take it to the
> release
> folks.  Team?

I would say that at time of proposal, a new module
needs to have gnome-doc-utils stuff in place: a /help
folder in CVS, and whatever standard template user
manual is around these days. That should be something
a developer can do.

(Though, the HIG? Developers can be pretty bad at
following it.)

Other than that, it seems reasonable.