Re: automated screenshots (was Re: more doc work, Re: completed gataxx doc)

<scrubbing all the accumulated CC's.  Either they're on the doc-list or
they won't be interested>

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 14:36 -0700, Ryan Paul wrote:
> I just finished putting together a simple proof-of-concept utility that
> automatically fades image borders and applies a drop shadow. It's
> written in Python and it uses Cairo, PIL, and GTK.

Couple of points about it.  I know its only a proof-of-concept:
1. Without the instant-apply enabled, how do changes happen?  I presume
when you save it.  Better to have instant-apply always on, I think.

2. When the border is set to 0, the image gets whited-out.

Just stupid things I saw and wondered about.

>From looking at the sample image you attached: I'm not sure about the
fading at the edges.  To me, it feels like it looses something (esp.
with the drop-shadow).  The other problem is that information may become
faded-out.  E.g. (again from the sample), the status bar at the bottom
and the title of the window are faded, and difficult to read.

Since I'm on this [1], this will also cause problems with inverse themes
(High-contrast-inverse), who would expect the shot to fade towards
black.

I know I'm only pointing out (possible) problems.  I haven't provided
any solutions, or anything crazy like that.  Sorry.

Don
[1] Hey, what else am I going to do?