Re: Getting the info

--- Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 21:30 +0100, Joachim Noreiko
> wrote:
> > Recent bug report mentions in passing:
> >
> > This search was performed because there was no
> help
> > text for the "Editable menu accelerators" checkbox
> in
> > the "Menu and Toolbar Preferences" config dialog
> >
> > How on earth is a docs writer supposed to
> > a) notice thie presence of a new feature such as
> this
>
> Actually, it's a very old feature.

I don't want to fire up my linux box just to check,
but I'm sure I've not seen it before... but I could be
wrong :)

> > b) find out how it works in detail?
>
> We can help out with both substantially by having
> actual
> technical reviews of all our documentation.
> Developers
> should read over all the documentation and:
>
> 1) Make note of what's missing
> 2) Make sure everything is correct
> 3) Think about how they can improve their interfaces
>    and user interaction in light of how extensively
>    we needed to explain it to normal people.

Yes. Especially 3), though I often file usability bugs
on the basis of how awkward the explanations are.
But that said, I would rather write the docs with
sufficient information to begin with.

> Professional tech writing firms and departments
> always
> have technical reviewers (and good copy editors,
> another
> thing we lack).
>
> Here's a reasonable process:
>
> 1) Start with the existing documentation.
> 2) Get a list of user-affecting changes and
> additions
>    from the development team.

>From who?
IRC channels are tumbleweed.
I could join yet another mailing list, but in this
particular case, I'm pretty sure it's the one for
gnome control center that's as silent as the grave.

On the chance someone here knows:

* how do you remove a shortcut?
* what happens with you change a shortcut like Paste
that should be cross-system -- do all apps change?