Re: String review

Hi Christian,

Le mercredi 21 septembre 2005 �0:49 +0200, Christian Persch a �it :
> Hi,
>
> For quite some time, the general inconsistency of strings in the various
> GNOME modules has irritated me. For example, let's just look at some
> strings in GNOME:

[...]

> To fix this, I think we need:
> - a String Guidelines addendum to the HIG. The HIG already tells us what
> capitalisation to use in which circumstances; we need a complete style
> guide;
> - a database of all (present and past) string in all GNOME modules, and
> ways to find 'similar' strings to unify
> - a string review process to fix the existing strings as well as new
> strings when they're are added.
>
> Unifying strings will also make the work of translators easier by
> reducing the number of strings to translate.
>
> What do you think?

This is definitely something that should be done, IMHO.

Translators might already have a good idea of what "kind of strings" is
often used, so this could make an important first step.

The difficult part is, however, to make maintainers use this database
when they add new strings. I don't know how we could do this.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas press�