Re: String review

Hi,

(I assume you didn't just want to send this to me but to one of the CC'd
lists?)

Le mercredi 21 septembre 2005 �3:55 -0500, Scott J. Harmon a �it :
> Christian Persch wrote:
> > - a database of all (present and past) string in all GNOME modules, and
> > ways to find 'similar' strings to unify
>
> Why not, instead, incorporate these dialogs into a common library?

While some strings can be incorporated into a library (the chosen
example of the confirm-overwrite strings, for example, is obsoleted with
the new confirm dialogue in gtk+ 2.8), that's clearly not an option for
every string. For once, they may not be simple dialogues, but part of
larger dialogues, displayed in statusbars etc.
Also this doesn't just concern identical strings but all strings, with
respect to the general consistency of the messages. E.g., use of
single/double/pango markup quoting, verb tense, the exact verbs and
nouns used, how to refer to those objects (in the example, "the file X",
"the file called X", "the file named X") etc.

Regards,
	Christian

ps: Please CC: me since I'm not on the lists.