Re: gnome-doc-utils ?

Hi Zoltan,

Today at 11:31, Zoltan Kota wrote:

> Recently more and more messages appeared like this:
>
> "the file-roller help system has just been modified to use
> gnome-doc-utils."

It's a build system for documentation, which also adds better support
for docs translation.  gnome-doc-utils is in Gnome CVS, and it
includes xml2po:

  http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-doc-utils/
  http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-doc-utils/xml2po/

> Maybe I missed something. Can somebody explain what gnome-doc-utils is
> for, and how to change applications to use it??

gnome-doc-utils allows translation of documentation using single PO
file per language (just like with programs we otherwise translate), so
it's way easier for translators.  It also allows one to create
statistics such as:

  http://kvota.net/doc-l10n/by-languages.html
  http://kvota.net/doc-l10n/by-modules.html

(I'm planning on improving these stats a whole lot, but this is just
to show that it works and that it can be done!)

If you want to port your application to gnome-doc-utils, start with

  http://live.gnome.org/GnomeDocUtilsMigrationHowTo

Cheers,
Danilo