Re: DocTable

Shaun McCance wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 11:23, Breda McColgan wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I know that Shaun plans to replace the current version of the DocTable very soon,
> > but I believe the new version of DocTable is still a work in progress
> > (http://www.gnome.org/~shaunm/doctable/), and I'd like to update DocTable to reflect
> > the current GNOME 2.6 status.
> >
> > To make it easier to both update and review the DocTable, I'd like to slightly
> > reformat the current page:
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/doctable--.html
> > Does anyone have any objection to this?
> >
> > It's probably easier to wait and see the updated page before making up your mind --
> > we can easily revert to the older version if you don't like the reformatted version
> > :)
>
> I don't know about "very" soon.  It's not at the top of my TODO list.
> I'm hoping to get to it before the serious 2.8 docs work starts, which
> gives me a few months.
>
> I'd say to go ahead and reformat the page, if you think it'll make it
> better.  With all the work you've been doing, you would know best what
> will make it easier to work with.
>
> --
> Shaun

Thanks, Shaun :)

I've put the updated version of the Doctable back to CVS now
(new revision: 1.75; previous revision: 1.74):
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/doctable--.html

Here's a summary of the changes I made:

* Combined 30 individual tables into one single table.
* Moved existing header text into two new columns: "CVS Module" and "Doc Maintainer".
* Updated the "CVS Module" column to reflect the CVS location of the relevant module. [1]

* Updated the "Application Name" column to further clarify the CVS location, where
necessary. For example, there are several applets in the gnome-applets directory, so the
Application Name column identifies the subdirectory for each applet.
* Deleted the "2.4 Build" column, as this duplicated the information in the "2.4 Update"
column.
* Deleted the "Dictionary Lookup" applet entry, as this applet is described in the
Dictionary (gdict) manual.
* Deleted the "gnome-calc" entry, as this application has been replaced by gcalctool.
* Added the "2.6 Update" column.
* Updated all entries for which I am the responsible writer, and most of the entries for
which Pat Costello is the responsible writer.
* Added Chee Bin HOH as the writer for Totem, as requested by Bastien Nocera last
December.
   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2003-December/msg00006.html
* Added Sasha and Michael as the writers for GAIM, to save Sasha the bother of doing so
:)
   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2004-March/msg00038.html
* Added footnotes to indicate that some software and documents are not in GNOME CVS.

[1] In most cases, this module is the location of the software and the documentation.
However, in some cases, this module reflects the location of the software only, and the
documentation is located elsewhere. For example, gnome-control-center is documented in
the User Guide. In such cases, the documentation location is indicated in the "Writer"
column. Added footnotes to document this.

Regards,
Breda.