Re: yelp problem

Sorry, I had your message to gnome-doc-list marked as Important, but I
just never got to it.  I'm CC'ing this back to gnome-doc-list so it'll
be in the archives for reference.

The problem is that these two calls are not the same thing:

gnome_help_display ("foo", NULL)
gnome_help_display ("foo", "")

They call Yelp with the following, respectively:

ghelp:///usr/share/gnome/help/foo/C/foo.xml
ghelp:///usr/share/gnome/help/foo/C/foo.xml?

An empty string is a string, and so an empty "fragment" identifier gets
appended.  With NULL, however, no identifier is appended.  It would seem
there are some differences between Yelp 2.4 and Yelp 2.6 with regards to
how empty fragment identifiers are handled, which doesn't surprise me.

As far as I can tell, the only thing pygnome lets you do is

gnome.help_display ('foo', '')

which simply calls

gnome_help_display ("foo", "")

Given that I would never tell a C programmer to call gnome_help_display
like this, I have no idea why pygnome insists you do it this way.  It
doesn't seem to let you pass None as the second argument.

I'm not sure why passing 'index' doesn't work with Yelp 2.4.  I'd have
to look at it to see what it's doing.

I don't really have a solution here.  Can we involve some pygnome people
in this discussion?

--
Shaun