Re: xml2po

Hi Ismael,

Данас у 23:14, Ismael Olea написа:

> Working with kbabel has a nice feature: is docbook aware so it detects
> the markup segmentation and can translate automatically segments if they
> are collected in the glossaries you can use.

That wouldn't work too well for many languages, and surely not for
Serbian :)  So, I believe it's better to make it harder for some, yet
possible for everyone :)

> Sorry, I can't reproduce it... the problem is with tha main file, but
> with the same file but different directory... it works! I'm amazed.

Ok, if anything comes up again, do send me all the output and
relevant files (just tar 'em up and gzip 'em and send them privately
to me if they're bigger than 10k or something).

> SUGGESTION: The cli options are confusing IMO. I don't have a proposal
> yet but maybe could be interesting to remove the gettext operations to
> simplify it. Maybe could be better to decompose into simplier tools or
> add actions like cvs does.

Well, I built options step-by-step, maintaining backwards
compatibility at all steps.  The idea is that regular users
(i.e. translators) won't even need these options: it should be
integrated into documentation build system (gnome-doc-utils is all
about it and shared stylesheets), and everything should be done
behind the scenes.  Just like translators don't need to know
intltool-merge options in order to make use of intltool -- it works
transparently and in the background.

Of course, any suggestion on this is very much welcome.  In practice,
I recommend using only three variants of the command:
  xml2po -o template.pot file1.xml file2.xml # extract PO template
  xml2po -u sr file1.xml file2.xml           # update translation
  xml2po -p sr.po -o sr/file1.xml file1.xml  # merge translation

> SUGGESTION: Do you know the KDE's poxml tools? It have a really
> convenient tool called split2po. It let to create a translated po file
> from both xml source and translated. Then you can update the previous
> translation with a new xml source. It's the way to reuse/update legacy
> translations.

That's planned, and it shouldn't even be hard if we make some
assumptions:
  1. There's the original untranslated XML available (so we can
     assume that messages can be extracted in the same order)
  2. There was no reordering of the "messages" (whatever it is for
     the desired mode) in the translation as compared to original

Then, we can simply rerun the xml2po machinery on each file, and
merge the two lists of messages one-for-one based on the order of
appearance.

It will surely be done before first stable release, since all
translated Gnome documentation shouldn't be wasted.

Cheers,
Danilo