Re: Doc Day

The documentation team in Sun came to a similar conclusion regarding the UG for the Java Desktop System, which is based on the GNOME Desktop. We are removing the overview chapter from the JDS UG, and creating a separate online Help manual called "Desktop Overview". Now, due to workload considerations that I have explained previously, we cannot commit to do a community version of this manual as well as the JDS version, however if it would make anybody's life easier we could share our work to date.

Of course, there are some parts of our manual that are JDS-specific, and therefore prevent us from publishing the whole work now in advance of the product release. However, the manual is very modular, and we could come to some sort of arrangement whereby we remove the product-specific bits and pass the generic parts onto the GDP as part of a collaborative effort.

Shaun - if you think this would be beneficial for the GDP "Desktop Tour", let me know and we can take the discussion offline.

Pat

Eric Baudais wrote:
Gnomers:

I have the raw chat log from the first ever Doc Day.  Thanks to our
Fearless Leader Shaun for organizing the day.  We went through some of
the User's Guide.  The general concensus was to break it up into two
guides.  One called Tour explaining the operation of the desktop and
the other as reference guide.  Work has been started on organizing
material in the User's Guide.  Below are the people who are organizing
and cleaning up each section.

Working with Files - hobd
Working with Panels - drake
Working with Windows and Menus - zanee
Overview of the Desktop and Using the Desktop - shaunm

If anyone else wants to take the Overview of the Desktop and Using the
Desktop sections, I'm sure Shaun won't mind.

The URL where the chat log is located is below.

http://baudais.net/gnome/doc-day-04-07-25.txt

Regards,
Eric Baudais