Re: [gnome-doc] which word to use : Rhythmbox or Music Player

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:43:02 +0200, ewajacobs <ewajacobs home nl> wrote:

> With all due respect, the average enduser isn't a moron. They know what
> programs like xchat, epiphany etc do. And when they do not, one little
> click will end another mistery...
> I just don't get the point of this 'n00byfying' users.
> cheers
>
> Emil

it's not my own position but it's required by the GNome HIG (Human
Interface Guideline)
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/desktop-integration.html#menu-item-names

IMHO It's not a noobyfication, it's a convenient choose :
1. I prefer that person refers to a function rather than a name, when
they deals with applications. Such of things give the problem that on
Windows world, people know and know to use Excel, but not spreadsheet
in general.

2. Imagine you're a Gnome first time runner; if in the menu there only
entries like Rhythmbox, Xchat, how do you know what the kind of
software is it ? You're obliged to launch all the application to see
that rhythmbox is a musi player, and so on.

I'll hope you'll understand my thoughs as my english is far from perfect.

--
Baptiste Mille-Mathias