Re: Yelp

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 06:19, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 20:55, Aaron Weber wrote:
> > I'd like it if you would really consider just printing the HTML, even
> > if it's only a stopgap measure. We need to think not only of "What is
> > the Right Thing for an Ideal Perfect Product" but "What is
> > Achievable"-- and that, for now, is printing the existing display.
>
> I'd second that.  I've been involved in a couple of usability tests on
> help systems over the years, and I don't recall anyone ever printing out
> a help page (or even asking if it was possible), even though they had
> the opportunity to do so.  Doesn't seem worth spending a lot of time on,
> IMHO.

I'm trying to build solid infastructure here for more than just the help
files of the CD player.  Did any of these usability tests involve having
systems administrators looking at the the sysadmin guide?  Or developers
looking at an API reference?  Or somebody looking at the manual for her
digital camera?

My official stance is, and has always been, that I want to have quality
print rendering directly from DocBook, rather than rather crappy prints
that one usually gets from printing HTML.  However, I will not turn down
a patch for printing the HTML to be used in the interim.

It's very simple.  Sending an email or complaining in one's blog or on
IRC doesn't help the matter at all.  If one really wants Yelp to be able
to print, then one should do a CVS checkout, fire up emacs, and start
hacking.

--
Shaun