Glossary (Re: "Folder" or "directory"?)

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 07:26:52PM +0000 or thereabouts, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
> [I am not subscribed to gnome-doc-list gnome org so any answers from
> there please CC me]
>
> On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 14:46, Christian Rose wrote:
>
> > If you want to debate entries in the GNOME Word List, please do so on
> > the gnome-doc-list gnome org
>
> What is the GNOME word list?
>
> If it is a sort of a glossary is there anyone who made use of it in the
> translations so far?

It is this: http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/a3843.html
It is generated from the file wordlist.xml in gnome-docu/gdp/style/

I am not sure what relationship it has to the gnome-i18n/glossary/
directory. Some of the gnome-i18n list certainly comes from the
one in gnome-docu/gdp, but words like "actuator" in the i18n glossary
are words I have not found anywhere in Gnome. Which is a good thing,
I think! Why on earth is "actuator" in there in the first place?

This second one from the gnome-i18n module is included in the "extras"
table for translations in
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/XX/extras/index.html
                                                         ^^
                                        Your locale abbreviation here

The first thing the cy team translated was the glossary: or at
least we went through most of it. One or two words were a pain
(actuator...) and we decided to wait until we met them and see
what was best in the event. It helped immensely to go through
this list at the start. But after we had checked in a few po
files and looked at how the KDE and Mozilla and OOo translations
did things, we did have to go back and adjust our original list
with the benefit of experience.

Incidentally, since I am posting to both lists at once: I once
asked for "stupid strings" and one of the (many) suggestions was
the single word "Control". "Is it a verb, a noun, an adjective,
an instruction or what?" I have recently discovered that it is
thought a better word than "widget". This is unfortunate, because
it turns out that most of the gnome-i18n knew exactly what a
widget and widget set was, but "control" has so many meanings
in English that no-one was sure.

Telsa