Re: Contribution of Sun documentation team to the GDP.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 08:47:18PM +0100 or thereabouts, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi Pat,
> > Our standard process is to put back drafts at each review stage.
>
> 	Rather than committing changes back at each review stage, I'd suggest
> that changes should be committed more or less as soon as they have been
> made. There is no problem, in my mind, with docs in the development
> releases containing something like "FIXME: this bit needs to be finished
> off".

For the record, my gtop docs contained about five FIXMEs and were
shipped like that in several distros. (Other distros managed
somehow to truncate it and ship only the first third or so. I
never figured out how.)

Over all the months (maybe a year or more) in which it was shipped
like that I was awaiting the complaints, comments and perhaps even
the explanations which would help finish them. I received one bug
report about visible FIXMEs in the thing.

It came from a sun.com address :)

Which is a long-winded intro to saying that I agree with Mark.
We are rather better about grepping for FIXMEs these days anyway.
But having them in CVS helps a lot.

> Of course it is understandable that you guys don't have the time to
> continue what you were doing. People's constantly changing ability to
> commit time to a project is something that every healthy open source
> project must have (and does have) the ability to adapt to.

Agreed, again.

Telsa