Apostrophes

Howdy all,

I'm reading through the GNOME Documentation Style Guide V1.3 and have a question, regarding apostrophe usage.

On the page titled"Grammar and Usage Guidelines", there is an entry, which reads:

"Apostrophe

Rules

* Do not use apostrophes to denote possession.
* Do not use apostrophes to denote contractions.
* Do not use apostrophes to denote plurals."

The last of these I can agree with, but I'm a little confused by the first two. Are they a mistake?

--

Cheers,

Matthew Revell.

www.lugradio.org - radio for Linux and open source fans