Re: Email viruses

I've had a similar problem here with my mailserver and
amavisd/spamassassin/clamav quite nicely takes care of the virus
problem.

Chris

PS We also implemented this on the GnuCash mailing lists which basically
got rid of the virus problem :)

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 09:37, Danilo Segan wrote:
> Today at 17:07, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
>
> > So yes, if you know about that alias, it is effectively
> > open to anyone to post to.
>
> As it turns out, no.  Read below.
>
> > However, to make things worse, lots of the virus-laden emails
> > purport to come from people who are indeed subscribed to the
> > mailing list. But they're not. The headers are forged.
>
> Ok, I've tested this and the problem here is *only* forging of "from"
> fields.  Alias is simply an alias which doesn't avoid moderation queue
> (I've just sent a message from unsubscribed address, and got notified
> that it got stuck in moderation queue; moderators, please disregard
> it, and sorry for wasting your time :).
>
> So, the only problem with docs gnome org alias is that it is
> probably more exposed than the real list address.  Forged addresses
> cannot be coped with easily, unless we start doing something like
> requiring all messages to be signed or something.  And we're
> definitely not going to go that route.
>
> So, I don't see a reason to dump this alias, since it's not really
> the problem.  Problems are forged mail headers which are used by
> spammers.
>
> I know of two currently popular methods for handling this: virus/spam
> detectors on the server side, or on the client side.  I believe they
> do fairly good when set properly, but it would require more effort
> from already pre-occupied Gnome sysadmin team.
>
> Cheers,
> Danilo
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
Checkpoint Certified Security Expert 2000 & NG
	|^|
	| |   |^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop