Re: Default Desktop/Panel Configuration

Michael Duvall wrote:
Hello List,

Although my question may apply to 2.4 and 2.6 releases, I'm working with a Red Hat distribution running Gnome 2.2.2.

As you may know, the default desktop panel under the Red Hat distribution includes the Main Menu, Mozilla, Evolution Mail, OpenOffice Icons, Print Manager, and so forth. It is my desire/need to develop an entirely different/customized default desktop environment for users. I have spent considerable time researching this, and at this point in time it is my conclusion that no documentation exists for an administrator to configure Gnome in this manner.

While the Gnome Desktop System Administration Guide describes usage of the gconftool, it provides little (if any) information to build or customize the "vanilla" desktop environment.

I prefer to solve my own problems, but if anyone out there can point me to where I can find a tutorial, further documentation, or even an after-market publication that I can reference.... PLEASE let me know.

Hi,

http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/2.2/gconf-8.html#gconf-13

I've attached a script that I run from RedHat Kickstart to configure my systems.

Hope that helps,
Jon
#!/bin/sh

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
export PATH

logMessage "Changing GNOME panel defaults"

function set_key()
{
  TYPE="$1"
  shift
  KEY="$1"
  shift
  VALUE="$1"
  shift
  OTHER_ARGS="$*"
  # only use direct if gconfd is not running
  if [ `pgrep gconfd | wc -l` = 0 ]; then
    logNotice "  making changes directly (gconfd is not running)"
    GCONFTOOL_OPTS="--direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults"
  else
    GCONFTOOL_OPTS=""
  fi

  gconftool-2 ${GCONFTOOL_OPTS} --owner=panel $OTHER_ARGS --type "$TYPE" --set "$KEY" "$VALUE"
}

# Define the number of panels, the number of launchers, and the number of applets
set_key list /apps/panel/profiles/default/general/panel_id_list [top,bottom] --list-type string
set_key list /apps/panel/profiles/default/general/object_id_list [mozilla,mozilla_mail,terminal] --list-type string
set_key list /apps/panel/profiles/default/general/applet_id_list [mixer,load_monitor,clock,show_desktop,tasklist,notification,pager] --list-type string

# Define the characteristics of the first panel
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/top/panel_type menu-panel
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/top/panel_size panel-size-x-small
#set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/top/screen_edge panel-edge-bottom
#set_key bool /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/top/hide_buttons_enabled false
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/top/panel_background_type no-background

# Define the characteristics of the second panel
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/bottom/panel_type edge-panel
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/bottom/panel_size panel-size-x-small
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/bottom/screen_edge panel-edge-bottom
set_key bool /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/bottom/hide_buttons_enabled true
set_key bool /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/bottom/hide_button_pixmaps_enabled false
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/panels/bottom/panel_background_type no-background

# Define the mozilla launcher
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/mozilla/object_type launcher-object
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/mozilla/launcher_location 'applications:///Internet/redhat-web.desktop'
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/mozilla/panel_id top

# Define the mozilla mail launcher
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/mozilla_mail/object_type launcher-object
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/mozilla_mail/launcher_location 'applications:///Internet/mozilla-mail.desktop'
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/mozilla_mail/panel_id top

# Define the terminal launcher
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/terminal/object_type launcher-object
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/terminal/launcher_location 'applications:///System/gnome-terminal.desktop'
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/terminal/panel_id top

# Define the Mixer applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/mixer/object_type bonobo-applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/mixer/bonobo_iid OAFIID:GNOME_MixerApplet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/mixer/panel_id top
set_key int /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/mixer/position 196
set_key bool /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/mixer/panel_right_stick true

# Define the Load Monitor applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/load_monitor/object_type bonobo-applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/load_monitor/bonobo_iid OAFIID:GNOME_MultiLoadApplet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/load_monitor/panel_id top
set_key int /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/load_monitor/position 170
set_key bool /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/load_monitor/panel_right_stick true

# Define the Clock applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/clock/object_type bonobo-applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/clock/bonobo_iid OAFIID:GNOME_ClockApplet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/clock/panel_id top
set_key bool /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/clock/panel_right_stick true

# Define the Tasklist applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/tasklist/object_type bonobo-applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/tasklist/bonobo_iid OAFIID:GNOME_TasklistApplet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/tasklist/panel_id bottom
set_key int /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/tasklist/position 33
set_key bool /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/tasklist/panel_right_stick false
set_key int /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/tasklist/prefs/minimum_size 450

# Define the Show Desktop applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/show_desktop/object_type bonobo-applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/show_desktop/bonobo_iid OAFIID:GNOME_ShowDesktopApplet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/show_desktop/panel_id bottom
set_key int /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/show_desktop/position 0
set_key bool /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/show_desktop/panel_right_stick false

# Define the Notification area applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/notification/object_type bonobo-applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/notification/bonobo_iid OAFIID:GNOME_NotificationAreaApplet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/notification/panel_id bottom
set_key int /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/notification/position 600
set_key bool /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/notification/panel_right_stick false

# Define the Pager applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/pager/object_type bonobo-applet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/pager/bonobo_iid OAFIID:GNOME_PagerApplet
set_key string /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/pager/panel_id bottom
set_key bool /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/pager/panel_right_stick true
set_key int /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/pager/prefs/num_rows 1