Default Desktop/Panel Configuration

Hello List,

Although my question may apply to 2.4 and 2.6 releases, I'm working with a Red Hat distribution running Gnome 2.2.2.

As you may know, the default desktop panel under the Red Hat distribution includes the Main Menu, Mozilla, Evolution Mail, OpenOffice Icons, Print Manager, and so forth.  It is my desire/need to develop an entirely different/customized default desktop environment for users.  I have spent considerable time researching this, and at this point in time it is my conclusion that no documentation exists for an administrator to configure Gnome in this manner.

While the Gnome Desktop System Administration Guide describes usage of the gconftool, it provides little (if any) information to build or customize the "vanilla" desktop environment.

I prefer to solve my own problems, but if anyone out there can point me to where I can find a tutorial, further documentation, or even an after-market publication that I can reference....  PLEASE let me know.

Regards,
Michael Duvall