Re: Making GNOME documentation suitable for different distros.

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 20:12, Shaun McCance wrote:
[...]
> I don't see any awkwardness with using XInclude.  XIncluded files can
> XInclude other files.  Files included with a SYSTEM entity can't contain
> an XML declaration or a DOCTYPE declaration, because it's a just a text
> slurp.  Since all of the GNOME docs currently use entites to split the
> docs into smaller files, each file would have to rely on being included
> in the master file to have the entity declarations.  This makes it hard
> to work with each file on its own.

In case it looked like I missed a point: you already have include the
sub-document into the master to do any validation or processing unless
you are writing very simplistic documents that do not use any entities
at all. So no quotation marks (“ and ”), no em- or
en-dashes, etc. I'm not adding to the ridiculousness of the situation in
any way -- it's already awkward at that point. That is exactly why
XInclude is a good idea for document fragments.

Malcolm