[Q] Help using Docbook [xsltproc]

Hello,

I'm trying to get the docbook tools working on my system so I can turn a
docbook document into XHTML or other formats.

I'm looking at the GDP Handbook:

http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/handbook/gettingstarted.html#installingdocbook

I've followed the installation instructions of section 3.2.3 and now I
have xmllint, xsltproc and xmlcatalog in my system.

xmllint and xmlcatalog seem to do what they should.  I am struggling with
xsltproc though.

Section 3.3.2 says that I should use it like this:

$ xsltproc --noout -o output  stylesheet.xsl filename.xml

My question:
Which style sheet should I be using there? (say I want to make an XHTML
file).

As indicated in 3.2.3, I have the docbook DTD in the
$PREFIX/share/xml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2 directory and the style sheets in
the $PREFIX/share/xml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.48 directory.

I don't know where to go from here.

I've been using the gnome-applet-template.xml as an example and I have
been unable to turn it into xhtml.  I have been trying style sheets at
random and they all produce an output with *no* XHTML tags.

Could someone show me the command-line instruction to turn
gnome-applet-template.xml into an XHTML file?

Thanks,
--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.