Re: reference gnome 2.2 docs (follow up)

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 21:08, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
> I can't say about "plain GNOME" - i.e., gnome built form tarballs on
> gnome.org - but in Red HAt 9, the list of themes includes
> Bluecurve
> Crux
> Grand canyon
> Mist
> Ocean dream
> Simple
> Smokey Blue
> Traditional
> + accessibility  (high contrast/large print, etc)
>
> There is no "default" - by default,  bluecurve is used in RH. None of
> the themes looks really like "raleigh" (if my memory serves me right);
> traditional probably comes closest.

Default is the name of the GTK+ theme, so you'd have to hit Theme
Details to see it.  Traditional uses the Default GTK+ theme.  I think
Traditional is a good choice for screenshots.  It uses the Default GTK+
theme, the Atlanta Metacity theme, and the Gnome icon theme.

> I like bluecurve and would suggest it as the default theme - especially
> since many users use RH and this is the default theme they see. On the
> other hand, Bluecurve  is RH copyright and not freely redistributable,
> so it is not included in plain  GNOME and not every distro has it.  My
> second choice would be Crux. Other opinions?

IIRC, there are no copyright issues around Bluecurve.  It's just that
the name "Bluecurve" is trademarked.  You are free to redistribute the
Bluecurve themes under a different name (and, in fact, art.gnome.org
does distribute it under the name "Wonderland").  I think Bluecurve
generally looks fine for screenshots.  However, the settings used for
screenshots should be those considered "Gnome default", which Bluecurve
is not.  Traditional, I believe, is the default Gnome theme.

I don't think Crux is a good choice.  It's a very heavy pixmap theme,
and it really just has too much visual noise for screenshots.  Please
note that I'm not trying to rip on Crux or its authors.  It's a nice
theme, and I used to use it for quite a long time.  I'm speaking only
from the perspective of what makes documentation easiest to read for the
largest possible group of people.

--
Shaun