Re: About translating documents (.xml/.sgml) in GNOME

 --- Bernd Groh <bgroh redhat com> wrote: > Malcolm,

> Paragraph seems ok. Just get rid of any eventual <footnotes>, etc. I'd
> change them into [1..n], since you have to keep the placement and then
> have the footnote separate in the next entry. Of course there are other
> parts to be considered, such as <entry>, etc. which should be separate
> entries as well. Same goes for index terms and titles. If you keep the
> order, then you should have enough context. Another easy solution would
> be to use the closest index-term and a fixed url to provide (in the
> comments to the entry) a link to the english HTML page. This should
> provide enough context. :-)

If sentences within paragraph can be re-oreder, then footnote ordering can
change. This is even true in case of work ardering in general if you made
two footnote refs from the same sentence. Index terms are another candidate
for automatic lookup and fill.