Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Calling all XSL customization layers...

--- Begin Message ---
Norm-

The GNOME Documentation Project has been talking about this very
thing!!!  We have made some extensive customizations for the 1.45
stylesheets and now they do not work with the most recent versions.  I
believe the problem is because some of the named templates have
changed their names.

Currently we distribute the 1.45 stylesheets because they are old and
distributions do not include them.  This stems from a decision we made
a while back to not always update our customizations with every
release of your stylesheets.  Rather we would just include the
specific version we wanted to support.  We felt that updating the
customizations for every release of your stylesheets would be like
chasing a moving target which might or might not break the
customizations.  Lately there has been some talk about seeing if you
would create a stable API which will guarantee future releases of your
stylesheets will not break our customizations.  If you are willing to
do this it would be great!

Below is a list of all the named templates our customizations call.
It includes the filename and the name of the template.

html/admon.xsl:admon.graphic.width
html/admon.xsl:admon.graphic
html/html.xsl:anchor
html/inline.xsl:inline.boldmonoseq
common/common.xsl:person.name
common/l10n.xsl:gentext
common/l10n.xsl:dingbat
common/common.xsl:copyright.years
common/l10n.xsl:gentext.space
html/inline.xsl:inline.boldseq
html/inline.xsl:number.rtf.lines
html/chunk.xsl:href.target
html/component.xsl:component.title
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage.before.recto
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage.recto
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage.before.verso
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage.verso
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage.separator
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:article.titlepage.before.recto
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:article.titlepage.recto
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:article.titlepage.before.verso
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:article.titlpage.verso
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:article.titlepage.separator
html/inline.xsl:inline.monoseq
common/common.xsl:mediaobject.filename
common/common.xsl:select.mediaobject
common/l10n.xsl:gentext.template
html/autotoc.xsl:component.toc
html/autotoc.xsl:division.toc
html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage

I belive the best solution would be to define a list of named
templates whose variables and global behavior will not change in
future versions.  This would be the DocBook XSL "API" and will only
change for major versions of the stylesheets.  If you wished to add
features to these templates or to change them you would add an
"experimental" parameter which would turn on these features/changes.
I think all new named templates should also be controlled by an
"experimental" parameter which include the new named templates.  This
way you can have a stable set of stylesheets while at the same time
allow people to use the latest developmental changes in the stylesheets.

I am glad you are considering a stable "API" for the DocBook XSL
stylesheets.

Eric Baudais

--- End Message ---