Re: Writing a new Tutorial

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 11:37, Eric Jardim wrote:
> Hi,
>    I want to know what I need to write a tutorial on developing GNOME 2.X
>    applications, involving several libraries and tools like Gtk, Gnome,
>    Glade, Autoconf and Automake.

If you are wanting it to be consistent with the rest of the GNOME
documentation, try to use DocBook-XML for the markup. You can test that
it looks reasonable then using Norm Walsh's DocBook stylesheets via
xsltproc.

So you need a reasonable DocBook setup (which you get by default on most
distributions, only Debian needs to be hit with hammers a bit to make
things like XML catalogs work) and then just start writing.

Have a look in the gnome-devel-docs module for some examples of how I
have done this kind of stuff previously (in particular, tutorials/i18n/C
and articles/portable-programming/C).

I would also recommend reading the GNOME style guide, particularly the
word list, so that you use the same words to mean the same things as
everybody else does when it comes to talking about the visible portions
of your program.

Finally, if you want to check whatever you write into the
gnome-devel-docs module, that would be fine with me. Just make an
appropriate directory under tutorials/<foo>/C (where <foo> is whatever
you want to call it). Put the main text in a 'C' sub-directory so that
if other people make translations, there is a logical place to put those
(it's happened in the past; you never know your luck). If you don't have
CVS commit privileges, they can probably be arranged (see the CVS page
on developer.gnome.org).