Re: need proofreading/editing?

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 16:56, David Merrill wrote:

> > Perhaps our tools or process isn't good enough.  Currently we have the
> > capability to tell the translators every time the user-visible strings
> > change.  Is that kind of information interesting to the docs team?
> > Should the developers try to give a summary of changes to the doc team,
> > or is closely tracking UI changes even interesting?
> >
> > As a developer, I'd like to be a better job of making sure that the
> > docs keep in sync.  How can we improve this?
>
> Certainly there must be a way to have Lampadas provide that information.
> It has access to all of the CVS logs and history information, including
> diffs between versions. So we could certainly provide some kind of notice
> about files that have changed more recently than their associated
> documentation. I'll look into this sometime later, probably not for
> awhile though.

I'm guessing this is really a human process issue, rather than a
technology issue. It's hard for me to imagine a technological solution
that is smart enough to tell which among the changes to an app's source
code results in changes in behavior or UI that require documentation
changes.

It's a matter of getting developers into the habit of filing a bug
report whenever they make a UI or behavior change that effects the
accuracy of the documentation. I'm not sure how we formalize that.

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead