Re: need proofreading/editing?

John Fleck <jfleck inkstain net> writes:

> On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 04:02, Pat Costello wrote:
> > As for
> > factual inaccuracy, ah yes, that is a different bag of worms. Given the
> > fast-forward Darwinian-style development of most of the applications and the UI,
> > the documentation is forever doomed to chase the goalposts, like some latter-day
> > Flying Dutchman. Talk about mixed metaphors...

I love that description. (-:

> One of the things I have tried hard to do is to regularly remind
> developers that when they change the UI, they need to communicate this
> to the person responsible for the docs. Pat's right, and Darwinian is a
> good word. So if the docs are yours and you weren't told, but sure to
> make the developer feel at least a little bit nagged.

Perhaps our tools or process isn't good enough.  Currently we have the
capability to tell the translators every time the user-visible strings
change.  Is that kind of information interesting to the docs team?
Should the developers try to give a summary of changes to the doc team,
or is closely tracking UI changes even interesting?

As a developer, I'd like to be a better job of making sure that the docs
keep in sync.  How can we improve this?

Thanks,
-Jonathan