[LONG] Lampadas Status Update

My apologies in advance for crossposting, but I want to reach all
interested parties.

I haven't been very vocal lately about the status of the Lampadas Project,
so I want to take a moment to bring you all up to date on what is
happening. Despite the near silence on the Lampadas mailing list, I
continue to work on Lampadas for a good 20-40 hours per week. Every
portion of the system has been improved in ways small and large.

I have a Lampadas database set up on http://www.lampadas.org which should
be considered the replacement for the old LDPDB at db.tldp.org. (Would
our DNS administrator please update that for me? The IP address is
66.92.150.169.

I do still intend to get Lampadas set up permanently on an iBiblio box
when possible, but I need to work out the admin rights with them if I'm
going to do that anytime soon. If (as I have heard from them before) they
will not give me any admin rights, I am in a bit of a quandry, because
Lampadas is just not stable enough to go without my ability to babysit it
as necessary. I need the ability to get the Apache server reloaded
(apachectl reload or /etc/init.d/apache reload). Maybe they will give me
that ability? If not, maybe they will not take offense if I am writing
them rather regularly to ask them to do the reload for me? If they don't
mind handling that chore, I am ready to do an iBiblio install.

I *do* understand iBiblio's policy and I don't want to give the impression
that I'm complaining. I'm very, very grateful for what iBiblio does for
us. Lampadas is just not ready to run unattended, and I feel badly about
asking the iBiblio staff to hold its hand while it gets the bugs shaken
out. iBiblio folks, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

If we can't get Lampadas on an iBiblio server soon, I will just run my own
database for the next few months until it seems very stable and I can
quit babying it. As long as it's running on my PC, I will be backing up
database contents daily to the iBiblio server, probably just as exported
text files (gzipped) saved into my home directory. Then at least we'll be
getting reliable backups on a regular basis.

The GDP is working on their Lampadas installation. The test installation
is at http://lampadas.homeunix.net/home.en.html, but I'm not sure where
the permanent home will be. I am making some changes to the system to
suit their particular needs. Once the official Gnome site is publicly
available, I will post the URL for all of you to look at.

Due to the GDP and LDPDB rollouts, after my next update the database
structures will enter a freeze. We can add columns to tables judiciously,
but we cannot remove columns or alter their type, because the ongoing
installations need the ability to export and reload their data. This
forces us to focus on code improvements by limiting our ability to add
new features. Since there is quite a bit of code badly in need of cleanup
and reorganization, I choose to look at this as an opportunity to focus
on the quality of the existing code rather than as a limitation.

As well as bugfixing, I am completing much of the UI code, so that site
administrators can publish and manage a complete site entirely through
the Web interface. I am *not* doing a lot of work on the document
publication system. Publication is a huge area of its own, and I have
decided instead to focus on the meta-data management portion of the
system, so that Gnome and the LDP will have a good tracking system to use
right now. Additional features will be gravy, to come after the core
functionality is to the point that I can say I'm proud of it. Right now,
I can't really say that. Although I am happy overall with its state, it
is just not finished or polished yet.

Now that the LDPDB has risen like the Phoenix in a new form, I am ready
for all LDP members, including all translation projects, to begin
maintaining and entering data into the database for publication. My plan
is to get all translation projects to enter their document information
into the database, so that http://www.lampadas.org serves all documents
at en.tldp.org, br.tldp.org, es.tldp.org, and fr.tldp.org at a minimum.
Of course I'll be happy to also include any other project who are ready
to begin joining the International TLDP site.

If the volunteers at the non-English sites are ready to do this, we can
use the next few months to get Lampadas ready for wider use, making sure
we support all those languages and their files. We can begin migrating
their documents into the TLDP CVS repository as well. Then, once Lampadas
has reached an adequate level of maturity, we can begin publishing one,
single international TLDP site, which serves documents from multiple
translation projects. By joining together, we can share resources -- and
Lampadas also gives you tools to help manage your translations. All
translation projects are most cordially invited to take advantage of this
opportunity to move the entire TLDP, English/Spanish/French/German/Korean
and all the others, forward in a very significant way.

We FINALLY have the infrastructure in place to publish a fully
international site easily. However, I cannot possibly do the
infrastructure development and also enter and maintain the information in
the database, so I am calling for a volunteer or volunteers to becme the
Lampadas administrator and maintain the Lampadas website. I will give
training on how this is done. It is not at all hard to maintain Lampadas,
and it can all be done through the web interface. The only thing you need
is a willingness to help and a commitment to do the work. If I get
several volunteers, the workload will be light for each individual.

I also need volunteers to translate the Lampadas web pages themselves.
I've completed the web interface for doing this, so it is quite easy to
do. We have maintainers for German and French, and we have a volunteer
for Polish but no Polish translation has yet been actually started. If
you can help with any of these translations, or any additional
translations, I want you! Write me privately or join lampadas en tldp org
and let us know your interest, and we will get you off on the right foot.

Thank you all for your time and attention. Again, sorry for the long post,
but there was a lot of news to report!

Regards,

- --
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net
Lead Developer                                 http://www.tldp.org

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers
believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.