Location of docs-on-the-web (was summarizing same)

I'm a bit confused about all this talk about directory structure and information architecture. Do we intend to move the docs sources out of their current locations in cvs? Surely not? Surely Jeff was talking about a way of calling docs into the web display from their existing cvs locations? All we need in the proposed central documentation web page is the appropriate layout of links to broad areas, as indicated by John. Each broad area page contains sublinks calling in the relevant documentation. So yes, we need structured linkage pages, but not new directories as such. Or I must be missing something....

Pat

Subject: Re: summarizing docs-on-the-web discussion
From: John Fleck <jfleck inkstain net>
To: Amy Kahn <amy zoned net>
Cc: gnome-doc-list <gnome-doc-list gnome org>,
	gnome-web-list gnome org
Date: 23 Oct 2002 19:53:39 -0600

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 07:49, Amy Kahn wrote:

hey...I was the information architect on this, but someone told me that the IA was already established and they didn't need my services. If anyone needs directory structure work, I'm a professional IA.

Willing to help. Direct me to the problem.

Hey, that's cool. Thanks for volunteering. Since I've not got a clear
idea of how to define the problem, maybe you need to explain what sort
of information you need to get started on this.

In general, as you've probably noticed from this thread, we're looking
for the best way to organize the GNOME docs information on the web site.
This is largely user docs we've been writing to be accessed as desktop
help through Yelp. But we're now in a position to expand the universe to
other user docs and developer docs.

In my naive thinking, we'd have a directory structure something like

all user docs
	gnome applets
	gnome-utils
	gnome-user-docs (includes users guide and other bits
	gnome-games
	gedit
	gnumeric
	etc.
developer docs
	api docs
		gtk api
		gnome-xml api
		libxslt api
		etc.
	development tutorials

My thinking is clearly based on an organizational structure that mirrors
the way we organize stuff now in CVS, but I'm clearly not wedded to
this. Ideas welcome, as well as advice on what you need to know to
proceed with this.

Cheers,
John