Question about image output and syntax (yet another)

OK, here's a weird question:

  db2html used to require that images in figures not be assigned a file extension; that is, they would be named like this:
    <figure id="preface-basic-interface">
      <title>The Ximian Evolution Main Window</title>
      <screenshot>
        	<screeninfo>Inbox</screeninfo>
		<mediaobject>
			<imageobject>
				<imagedata fileref="figures/mainwindow-pic" format="png" srccredit="Kevin Breit">
			</imageobject>
		</mediaobject>
      </screenshot>
    </figure>
So that additional imageobjects such as .eps files could be added (for db2pdf, which for some reason used to refuse .png files).

Now, however, we have moved to "docbook2pdf" which handles png files apparently, and docbook2html now seems to require that images have a complete file extension like so:
<imagedata fileref="figures/mainwindow-pic.png" format="png" srccredit="Kevin Breit">
If I do not enter the complete filename, the format is no longer added to the end of the filename as it was in earlier versions. This seems more correct to me, and the old way never made any sense, so I'm happy for the change.

But will it break the images in GNOME documentration output if I move to this new format for my images? If so, at what point will it be safe to switch?

docbook2html also seems to have changed its output stylesheet-images directory, from expecting and creating a directory of stylesheet-images in the output directory, to expecting, but not creating, an "images" directory, just above it.  This is a stylesheet issue, though, yes?

a.

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 11:56, Tim Waugh wrote:
On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 11:42:38AM -0400, Aaron Weber wrote:

> I figured as much. Are the stylesheets maintained by anyone I can find
> and pester?

Norman Walsh (the package is docbook-dsssl).  sf.net/projects/docbook

Tim.
*/