Re: Documentation for the gtk+ module

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 11:22:05AM -0500, Aaron Weber wrote:
> I was looking in the directory gtk+/docs/ yesterday and it's kind of,
> uh, not organized the way other apps are, and in sgml.

I assume you mean the gtk+ module in CVS. What do you find different
about it? Apart from the fact that they actually _have_ lots of
documentation. :-)

> Should this be cleaned up and moved to XML at some point?  I could do
> it, probably in the relatively near future, but I'm concerned that it
> might involve moving files around a great deal-- the structure for
> translations, for example, is not the same as the way it's done in the
> application modules -- if it's translated at all-- and, frankly, it's
> just a little wonky.

Now I am not sure what you are talking about. I cannot think of a single
major module in GNOME that has its developer documentation translated.
So what is your point of comparison?

> Anybody got suggestions/thoughts/etc.?

Send a post like this one to the gtk-devel mailing list. The
documentation in gtk+ is actually pretty well maintained (although there
is still some old stuff floating around), so a bit of coordination with
others will be required for any intrusive changes. Convincing the docs
maintainers to move to XML for the various things like FAQ and
tutorials/ should not be too hard, since gtk+ was the first module to
move to using the new XML features of gtk-doc. But I think you need to
explain more to them what you would like to do.

Anyway, send something to gtk-devel and start a discussion over there.

Malcom

--
He who laughs last thinks slowest.